Friday, July 9, 2010

Grand Teton National Park

After leaving Yellowstone we drove to the Grand Teton National Park for 4 nights. These first 3 pictures are actually from Yellowstone. The kids are getting bundled up for bed. As you can see, we wore socks on our hands to help keep them warm.




We arrived at the Tetons in the morning and quickly set up camp.

These 2 guys were just standing on the side of the road.

Here's an afternoon shot of the Tetons.


We hiked to a place called Hidden Falls. It was about a 4 mile round trip, very hilly, very rocky and lots of fun.







We hiked around Jenny Lake.



This is Hidden Falls. Another magnificent sight! The water pours
down from the snow on the mountains.


This is a view from the campground we stayed in. This is the lodge for those
who don't want to rough it.

We saw this black bear on the side of the road on our way back to camp from Jenny Lake.









The Tetons were amazing to say the least. Some of the highlights for me were hiking to Hidden Falls, seeing 2 bears, picnic at String Lake, buffalo burgers and sweet potato fries at the Buffalo Valley Cafe' which was a little hole-in-the-wall place that I learned about from the guy that worked in the camp office.

One of the other highlights is playing cards with the kids every night in the camper. Spoons seems to be the cardgame of choice. I also enjoyed waking up early and walking over to the little general store where I'd buy a coffee and sit in the lobby of the lodge for a few minutes to warm up before heading back to the camper. Chase has become an expert fire starter and we've roasted a plethora of marshmellows. Hot chocolate has been a staple for the cold mornings and we've learned that eating too many cherries before going on a hike can make for a miserable journey.

Tomorrow we head to Bryce Canyon where we definitely won't be dealing with cold temperatures. We're staying just 3 nights and then heading on to be with our good friends the Beebe's in Santa Barbara. We are really looking forward to spending time with them!!

9 comments:

  1. They look so happy in their sock mittens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following the blog, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to be going so fast! Bebee's house in 3 days? How close was that bear? We are heading out for a boat ride. We went up to the headwaters of the Mississippi, today. Picked up a great history of the founding of the headwaters...you would enjoy reading it. I will check on the book you recommended. Bye, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, I posted a comment and then it said it posted but I sure don't see it. It was rather long so I don't think I will rewrite it. Glad you guys are doing well, can't believe you are almost to the Bebee's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, my first comment posted and after reading it decided it wasn't that long after all....just seems long because I don't type very fast. Oh well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda is right, it seems like your getting there so fast.
    I can't believe you got that close to a bear..great pictures.

    If we go there, I am staying in that lodge....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember that Spoons game! When I was in 6th grade, we played that every day at lunch. Great pictures! I love the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda - the bear was probably 20 yards away, but I took those pics from the safety of my car. Interesting though, the black bears are not really aggressive. There were probably 10 cars parked along the road and people were getting out and walking away from their cars to get a picture. Honestly though, they were idiots. The bear was not acting aggressive, but any one with half a brain knows he could turn on you at any moment. There were 3 young kids, like 6-8 years old running along the side of the road and stopping just a few yards from him. Jayme reminded me that there was also a parent holding a toddler just a few yards away as well. I hate to sound mean, but again...idiots. We were respectful of the wildlife and very aware that we were on their turf. That book you mentioned sounds interesting, let's trade. :-)

    Heidi - I was definitely envious of the lodge people. :-) But we saved a ton of money with the camping route. Those lodges are expensive. There were also cabins that looked nice...I'd like to find out what they cost. I'd also like to stay in the lodge at Old Faithful someday...it was totally amazing.

    Molly - i have one more set of bear pictures. i'll post soon. we were only about 20 feet away from that one. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm a friend of "Kulio!" Stumbled upon your blog! I haven't been to Hidden Falls and Jenny Lake since I was a kid! Brought back lots of memories! Thanks for sharing! Looks like you're having a great trip!

    ReplyDelete