Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 3 Badlands and Such

We packed a ton into this day. Got up early and went to the Middle Border Museum which had this giant statue of Meriwether Lewis. My great grandmother was a Lewis, somehow related to Meriwether Lewis. My grandfather was James Lewis and now my boy is Chase Lewis. Chase loves history and wanted to see this statue and museum of his great, great uncle (?). See any resemblence?
This is in Mitchell as well, near the world famous Corn Palace.

It was truly a corny experience.

Next stop, the Badlands. Truly awe-inspiring.




Um...a little help here.


Had to make a stop at Wall Drug. We counted 62 signs for Wall Drug between Mitchell, SD and Wall, SD. Wall Drug is famous because the store remained opened through the Great Depression by giving away free ice. Today it's a monstrosity of a place filled with outrageously expensive trinkets which no one really needs.
Final stop, Custer, SD and our campsite which had just been used by our friends the Varlands a few days earlier. Can you believe that? It was a long day and we were plumb tuckered out. So we ate dinner, made 'smores and hit the hay.

8 comments:

  1. Natty's fine!
    Oh, my nerves! I can't believe you stayed in Varland's same campsite! What are the chances?! Love the pic of Chase & Meriweather. You'll have to frame it for him when you get home.

    I tried calling yesterday. You must not have very good service, eh? Call when you get a chance. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really kewl!! You guys must have had a lot of fun. I miss you guys so much!!! Can't wait for day 4!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what Joann is doing at each post...cute.

    So strangely cool about the Varlands.

    I DO see a resemblance between Chase and Meriweather! Keep posting! The DeBackers love it! We're always checking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I forgot to mention that I love the "flat ellen" (flat stanley??) Totally noticed her right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi - Ha! I wondered if anyone would catch on to the Ellen thing. She's doing this "world domination" thing where people send in photos of her with them wherever they are and then she puts some on the show...so we're sending them to her in hopes that she'll use them on the show!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CClee - so glad you're following and commenting...Jayme loves it. She misses you!!

    Joann - I think I'm starting to not freak out about Natty every time you call anymore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHERE IS THE PICTURE OF THE CORN PALACE?? I must know! Is it just a sign and an ear of corn? Is it really made of corn? Does it really resemble a palace? I NEED ANSWERS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janette - the corn palace is a big building downtown and yes, it's partially made of corn...like the front part. But I couldn't get a good picture. Crowded and cramped area, couldn't get back away far enough for the pic to turn out.

    ReplyDelete